Fire damaged a home in the Middleton Addition of Evarts early Friday.
According to Evarts Fire Chief Cledo Powers, his department was paged at approximately 12:30 a.m.
“As far as we understand so far, a heater caught a mattress on fire and (the fire) spread on through the house,” said Powers. “The family is completely out of everything. One of our own (Evarts Fire Department) lived there. We’re trying to take care of him the best we can.”
Powers said Evarts Fire Department member Joshua Napier lived in the home with his father, brother and his brother’s wife. The wife is pregnant and is expected to deliver any day.
There were no injuries.
Powers said the structure was a total loss.
“We had control of the fire probably by 2 a.m., but we were on the scene until about 5:30 a.m.,” said Powers.
According to Powers, the fire department will take donations if anybody would like to assist the family.
“We haven’t set up anything yet, but they could contact the Evarts Fire Department at 606-505-0338,” said Powers.
Assisting at the scene was the Lower Cloverfork Police Department.
The Evarts Police Department and LifeCare Ambulance Service also responded to the scene.
Reach Joe P. Asher at 606-573-4510, ext. 113, firstname.lastname@example.org