A traffic stop led to the arrest of a man on theft charges early Sunday evening.
William Lewis, 23, of Baxter, was arrested by Kentucky State Police Trooper Wayne Hensley following a traffic stop.
According to Hensley, he and Trooper Kenny Sergent stopped Lewis on U.S. 421 near Dairy Queen.
“We conducted a traffic stop on him for failure to use a turn signal and weaving within a lane,” said Hensley. “We went ahead and initiated a traffic stop.”
Hensley said a field sobriety test was administered, which Lewis passed.
“I ran his license through Kentucky State Police Dispatch, and found out he had a warrant,” said Hensley.
Hensley said the warrant was obtained by the Harlan County Sheriff’s Office.
According to the warrant, Harlan County Sheriff’s Det. Danny Lewis stated that on Sept. 25 William Lewis sold a stolen Kenwood radio valued at over $500 that belonged to the Harlan County Rescue Squad.
According to Hensley, the radio was valued at approximately $700.
William Lewis was lodged in the Harlan County Detention Center on a $7,000 full cash bond on charges of receiving stolen property under $10,000 and theft by deception including cold checks under $500.
In other police news:
* Brandy Maggard, 30, was arrested by Harlan County Sheriff’s Deputy Bill Howard on Friday. Maggard was charged with first-degree criminal abuse of a child under 12, first-degree sodomy victim under 12 years-of-age and first degree sexual abuse victim under 12. Deputy Hunter Luttrell investigated the case. Maggard was lodged in the Harlan County Detention Center on a $50,000 full cash bond;
* Jason Edmond, 42, of Cumberland, was served an indictment warrant at the Harlan County Detention Center by Det. Lewis charging him with attempted murder. The Harlan County Detention Center verified Edmond was indicted on charges stemming from a shooting incident with Cumberland City Police Department and Kentucky State Police that occurred on Oct. 8;
* James Ritchie, 50, of Slemp, was arrested by the Harlan County Detention Center on an indictment warrant for manufacturing methamphetamine. Ritchie was lodged in the Harlan County Detention Center;
* Kelly Bailey, 24, of Bledsoe, was arrested by Kentucky State Police Trooper Jared Boggs on Saturday on an indictment charging her with third-degree burglary. Bailey was lodged in the Harlan County Detention Center;
* Jeffery Coker, 25, of Harlan, was arrested by KSP Trooper Brandon Burton on Saturday and and charged with first-degree criminal mischief, two counts of theft by unlawful taking under $500, possession of burglary tools, persistent felony offender II, second-degree disorderly conduct, alcohol intoxication in a public place, resisting arrest and possession of synthetic drugs. Coker was lodged in the Harlan County Detention Center;
* Kevin Dixon, 36, of Evarts, was arrested Friday by Boggs on charges of theft by deception under $500, theft by deception under $10,000, theft by unlawful taking $10,000 or more, violation of a Kentucky EPO/DVO, no registration plates, no registration receipt, failure to produce insurance card, license to be in possession, operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs and third-degree possession of a controlled substance. Dixon was lodged in the Harlan County Detention Center.
Reach Joe P. Asher at 606-573-4510, ext. 113, firstname.lastname@example.org