Last updated: March 28. 2014 12:24PM - 293 Views
By - nsizemore@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

If you want to vote in the May primary or November general election you have until April 21 to register to vote. Harlan County Clerk Donna Hoskins said you can change your precinct or register to vote for the first time now through the deadline.

Hoskins said you must be 18 years of age on or before the general election on Nov. 4. She added students may register to vote at their high schools.

“Students and any one else who desires to vote for the first time may register to vote at the Harlan County Clerk’s Office or at the Harlan Circuit Court Clerk’s Office when they obtain a driver’s license,” said Hoskins. “This provides several opportunities to register to vote before the primary election in May and the general election in November.”

The clerk’s office is open from 8:30 am. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Circuit Court Clerk’s Office is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

“I encourage people to vote. I’d like to see a great turnout to show that Harlan County counts, even thought this is a county election mostly,” said Hoskins. “Voting is our right and that’s why we’re a free country. We need to be a voice that speaks for Harlan County to help us go forward instead of backward. If you don’t vote your voice can’t be heard in the election of your county officials.”

Hoskins said the clerk’s office is now also accepting applications for absentee ballots.

“If you are going to be out of town on election day, we’ll be opening a voting machine in the clerk’s office on April 25. We’ll be open on Saturday, May 17, from 9 a.m. to noon to provide a Saturday for those people who work and want to vote, but are going to be out of town on election day,” said Hoskins. “The actual absentee ballot application has to be in the clerk’s office by May 13 to be able to vote by some form of absentee.”

Hoskins said the primary election is May 20. She said during the primary election, the voter will cast a vote by their party and in the general election in November, you may vote for your choice of the candidate.

“Students can vote here or they can apply for a paper ballot if they are in college,” said Hoskins. “Persons due to age, disability or illness, who are unable to go to the polls, can now apply for a paper ballot to vote. “If you are in the military service, we are now in the process of emailing them their ballots. They can request a ballot if they are overseas or on a base somewhere. They will go through the same process of voting an absentee ballot.”

If you have any questions, you may call Hoskins at 606-573-3636 or email her at donna.hoskins@ky.gov.

Nola Sizemore may be reached at 606-909-4147 or on Twitter @Nola_hde

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Harlan Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com