Roads and bridges highlighted a recent meeting of the Harlan County Fiscal Court. A motion was approved to close the Jude Johnson Road in Elcomb.
Speaking on behalf of Magistrate Jim Roddy, who was not present at the meeting, Magistrate David Kennedy asked that the Jude Johnson Road in Elcomb be closed.
“Jim (Roddy) told me the people who live on this road want it closed,” said Kennedy.
County Engineer Leo Miller said the road is “unused.”
“So, we’re not wasting money on advertising?” asked Harlan County Judge-Executive Joe Grieshop. “If we know of one complaint it won’t pass and we’ve spent all that money. So, we have to be pretty sure if we’re moving down this pathway.”
Kennedy said according to Roddy, all citizens living near this roadway had been “talked to” and it was unanimous to close the roadway.
“We’ll have to post it and advertise it and in 30 days it will be closed,” said Miller. “That’s 30 days from the November fiscal court meeting.”
Kennedy asked if county ownership of the road is being given up with the approval of this action and if the property will be divided among the property owners along this roadway.
“Yes, that is correct the county will give up ownership,” said Miller. “The property will be divided half and half between the property owners. You would own to the center and I would own to the center.”
Kennedy asked who is responsible for the cost of dividing this property once the roadway is closed.
“We’ll have to make a quick claim deed from Harlan County Fiscal Court,” said Miller. “This is something Fred (Busroe) will have to do. So, there will be a cost incurred. The Jude Johnson Road was not a deeded roadway.”
In another actions, the court:
- Accepted Swanson Bridge, located on Little Creek on Cawood Hill, as a county bridge.
- Approved cutting a tree near the roadway, which is posing a threat to residents in Ages.
- Approved a memorandum of agreement between the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the Harlan County Sheriff’s Office and the Department of Defense 1033 Program Agreement, with respect to excess personal property;
- Approved the renewal of expiring lease agreements between the Harlan County Fiscal Court and the Kentucky Finance and Administration Cabinet, Department for Facilities and Support Services for boat slip rental at the Stone Mountain Boat Dock;
- Approved the quick claim deed of conveyance agreement between the Harlan County Fiscal Court, the Karst Land Company and Albert Milwee Jr. located on Lyttle Lane in Clospint.
Reach Nola Sizemore at 606-573-4510 or at email@example.com